What it means to have a custom built tandem made just for you (and your favorite riding partner): It all starts with you and what you want. We’re here to listen, take notes and transform your ideas into a custom tandem. Primarily, we serve riders that dream big, are pushing the limits of the industry, and are looking to bridge the gap between their ambitions and their current set up. Cycles Chinook is established to create tandems (and components) that are better suited for our most memorable rides: travel, racing, touring, mud, bumps and growing families. Your adventures are our design perimeters. We design the frame’s geometry based on your fit and handling preferences. The frame’s tire clearance; mounting features for bottles, racks, fenders, and bags; and other specifications are determined by your current needs and future plans. We’ll work with you to map out component specs that best suit your lifestyle and budget.
Pricing: Fully custom means the price varies with the design and build. Below are our typical prices. Contact us to figure out what design options are best for you. Complete Tandems: $8,500 – $12,000+ Frame Sets: $5,500 – $6,500+ Frame Only: $5,000 – $6,000+
Standard Frame Features:
- Titanium 3/2.5 frame with no lateral tube
- Travel Couplers (1 set)
- Braze-ons for bottles, bags, racks, fenders
- Clearance for the right size tires for you (available up to 29 x 3.0″ or 26 x 5.1″ tires)
- External cable/hose routing for mechanical drivetrains and cable-actuated or hydraulic brakes
- Brake mounts: post-mount disc, IS disc, linear pull, cantilever, center pull, and/or caliper
- 145mm quick-release rear hub with replaceable derailleur hanger (also available in 120, 126, 130, 135, 145, 160, or 170mm widths)
- 386EVO (46mm diameter, 86.5mm width) rear bottom bracket shell
- Eccentric front bottom bracket shell – compatible with our own lightweight eccentrics, and offerings from Bushnell and others
- 44mm headtube for compatibility with straight or tapered steerer forks
- 203mm disc rotor clearance
- Telescoping seat tube
- Thru-axle rear hub (142, 148, 150, 170, 177, 190, or 197mm spacing)
- 254mm (10″) disc rotor clearance
- T47 rear bottom bracket shell
- 92mm or 100mm bottom bracket shells
- Pump peg
- Chain hanger
- Stoker stem mast
- More couplers
- Make it a triple, quad, or quint
- Custom titanium fork with tapered steerer, 203mm disc mounts, and 15mm thru axle (100, 110, or 150mm spacing)
- Wound-up Duo carbon/aluminum with disc and/or cantilever brake mounts, 100mm QR
- Wound-up Duo 2 carbon with disc and/or cantilever brake mounts, 100mm QR
- Rodriguez steel with disc or cantilever brake mounts, 100mm QR
- Double cranksets with 52/34, 50/34, 48/30, 46/28 chainrings (triple cranksets in any range available, too)
- 10- or 11-speed cassettes with 11-32, 11-34, 11-36, 11-40, or 11-42 range
- 1x12 SRAM Eagle with 10-50 cassettes
- Rohloff drivetrains available, too
- Low Q-factor cranks (Q-factor as low as 146mm front and 160mm rear with 145mm quick-release or 148mm thru-axle hubs
- Multi-hole cranks for child stokers
- Handbuilt wheels
- Travel accessories – cases, cable-splitters, etc
Build Process (in a nutshell):
- Contact us. Let us know what you’re looking for. Here are some helpful questions to consider: What do you currently ride? What do you like about it? What don’t you like about it? Have you had a professional bike fit? What are you looking to do with your new tandem? Race uphill,tour, ride mixed-terrain, time-trial, travel? Let us know what adventures are on your bucket list.
- We’ll discuss some options and iterate until you’re happy with the plan.
- We’ll send you a frame drawing, build list, and quote.
- Once approved, a 50% deposit starts the build process.
- 10-12 weeks later your bike is welcomed into the world.
- We’ll send you a notification that your bike is ready to come home.
- Send 50% remainder of payment, plus shipping.
- We send you your dream bike.
For additional information about pricing, process, or delivery, please contact us.
Sign up for our Newsletter